Tuesday, February 10, 2009

CHOKE



I love to read. That's a statement I often exclaim with great dignity and pride when in the presence of like minded individuals who may want to chatter about how many Bukowski's we have on our shelf or whether or not we have an original copy of Fear and Loathing minus the movie poster cover. With that being said you must also remember that I am a modern man and although the day is long, it's not always long enough to find the time to start and finish a book. Hell it's 330am and I'm writing this little post as my last official business of the night, so i'll be lucky if i get a chapter of the book I'm currently reading in before my eyes burn out of my skull. But i digress. The point of all this is that once in awhile a book pulls you deep enough into the story for you to get lost and forget that you have other priorities. It's now been a few years since I've had such an experience while reading the novel "Choke" by one of my favorite modern authors Chuck Palahniuk and since then they have turned the twisted story into a film. This isn't the first time Hollywood has turned one of Palahniuk's novels into a major motion picture. Some of you may remember the film Fight Club. I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I read Fight Club after I had seen the film. I'm not ashamed of this because I can proclaim that I've read every Palahniuk novel, and non fiction, ever since that first read finding out how raw and funny his sadistically satirical tales are. So needless to say, when I saw the trailer for the film adaptation of Choke I was immediately excited.



Equally exciting is the release of the DVD on the 17th of this month. Fortunately I was asked to promote the release of this DVD which enables me to pass along some gifts to all of you out there. Tomorrow when the UPS truck arrives our pal in brown will be dropping me off a number of copies of the novel in question, Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, in case you forgot. These, along with some posters and bookmarks that look like they have anal beads attached (which i swear will make sense once you read this book or see the film), are going to be my gift to you tonight at The Lost Leaf. That's right this Tuesday is in fact Downtime: A Night At The Lost Leaf With Pickster One & Friends. I'm sure I'll see you there, I'll give you a copy of the book and we can talk about what you're reading right now. Or you can just look at me weird because I'm handing you a book in a bar while Pickster and friends, who happen to be Jeremy Dana of Drunken Immortals and Tato of Sonorus, are behind me playing the smoothest shit you've ever heard on Tuesday.



Either way I recommend you check out Choke and anything else you can get your hands on from Chuck Palahniuk.






I'm off to my bedroom to read a chapter of The Autobiography of Malcolm X. What are you reading?

No comments: